A Sweepstakes as Promotion for Your Slot Machine Business
Are you looking for a way to promote your slot games location? There’s no better way that with a sweepstakes. It generates excitement, rewards and encourages existing customers, and serves as a fertile source of customer information.
There are some things you need to keep in mind, however, when planning and running that big giveaway. Here’s a guide to some of the things you need to know and do.
You’re Running a Sweepstakes, Not a Raffle
The law allows an Illinois video gaming establishment to hold a sweepstakes. In a sweepstakes, something of value is awarded to a winner chosen randomly.
In contrast, only certain nonprofit organizations can hold a raffle, and they must obtain a license as per the Raffles and Poker Runs Act. Any money the raffle produces must go directly to the organization, and there are legal limits on the cost of a ticket and the values of prizes.
Your Sweepstakes Needs Rules
You have to set forth the way in which your sweepstake will operate and make these rules available at your slot games business to anyone who cares to participate. These are some of the matters you’ll need to lay out.
- You’ll need to specify entry dates, times, and procedures.
- No purchase necessary. The law says you can’t require an entrant to buy anything, and it also says that your documentation has to tell people that you aren’t.
- Drawing details. Tell people when and where the drawing will take place and who will do the drawing. Also say whether entrants must be present to win.
- Can anybody enter? If not, who’s excluded?? Employees? Family members? Are there restrictions based on age? Spell it all out here.
- The event rules must say who’s sponsoring the sweepstakes.
- Tell what you’re giving away, estimate its value, give the odds of winning, and explain how winners collect their prizes. It’s also a good idea to clarify who’s responsible for shipping and handling if prizes are being delivered.
- Use of Disclosed Information. Entrants must be informed that their disclosed information will not be treated as confidential. Explain why and how the information will be put to use. If you leave out this part, you are then legally required to treat their information as confidential.
- Facebook disclosure. Your Illinois slot machine business very likely has a Facebook presence. This section explains Facebook confidentiality and disclosure while also making I clear that Facebook has no legal association with the sweepstakes.
- If there’s anything important you have yet to include, additional rules, for example, be sure to put them in a final section. Also state that the sponsor and participants are bound to comply with all applicable regulations.
If you’d like to learn more about hosting a sweepstakes in your Illinois video gaming establishing, we invite you to contact the experts at Universal Gaming.